Thursday, February 23, 2012

Reflections on a day...

If you haven't died a winter yet, things are looking up. That's one of those phrases stays in your mind from another, unspecified, time and place. You never have to look further than the headlines to find something depressing to dwell on. That's why they say no news is good news. It may all sound like trite banalities but those old sayings have a ring of truth in them.
I work as a waiter and bartender in a city centre pub and I'll tell you, things are not looking good when even Americans count their change and don't leave a tip. There is the persistent story about someone telling visiting Americans that tipping is neither common, nor expected in Ireland. I've often wondered about the source of that story and believe I found it once in an inflight magazine or maybe one of those glassy magazines Bord Failte or the Department of Foreign affairs used to distribute. Whatever the source, I've got an old saying for them: TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA.
So after work last night, almost weightless for the lack of change to jingle, I dropped in to say hello to say hello to a friend. He was down in the dumps because he was having a hard time bust his friend's ashen remains out so he could bring him home for burial. How dead do you have to be to get buried today? I wondered. But that's another story. He was watching the protestors stop the Co Laois Sheriff carry out an eviction on a You Tube video that really should go VIRAL.
Here are a bunch of Irish people doing what they really love to do; argue points of the law, defy authority and listen to themselves. Brilliant. Pat Shortt couldn't have written a better sketch but this is deathly serious and soooo right. There was a bounce in my step after I saw this. It renewed my faith in my fellow human beings.
More about how dead you have to be etc in the next blog...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpUjl4LvQM8

No comments:

Post a Comment