Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tangier Alley

Since I began living in and around Dublin's inner city in the mid '70s, I've been fascinated with the street names and the pictures and stories they can conjure. In the Grafton St area alone, there's a Lemon St, a Swan Yard and a Tangier Alley. There was once a 'Flint's Croft' between Harry St and South King St. Many other streets have disappeared; such is progress. As a general rule, most of the older street names refer to the prevalent trades practised in their vicinity so what might you make of those three above; Lemon St, Swan Yard and Tangier Alley?
I thought I'd have a go at it but instead of some historic musing, I decided I'd simply use the names for locations and let their ethos do their creative work. A murder or a robbery in Tangier Alley has far more cachet than a bag grab on Suffolk St, don't you think?
Here's some other names: Bull Alley, Cow's Lane, O'Curry Road, Engine Alley, Fade St. OK, I don't think I'd touch the last one after the reality tv show of the same name but the others certainly have possibilities. And I know of an Ebenezer Lane somewhere in Dublin 8.
Anyway, all this came back into my consciousness today while I was trawling through some back catalogue hard disc files and lo and behold, 22,000 words, six chapters or 54 pages of an unfinished novel: Bad Dreams of Tangier Alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment